WELCOME to the website for the Catholic Parish of Otari which covers the areas of Karori, Wilton and Northland. The parish has two churches, St Teresas in Karori and St Thomas More in Wilton. Mass Times below.
Links to all pages in this website can be found in the column to the right ' Links to website pages'
For latest parish news click newsletter image to go to our newsletter page to open - download a copy.
Holy Week – April 9 – 16 - 2017
Holy Week is the most sacred time of the year, when we remember again all that God has done for us in Christ. In the Sacred Triduum, we walk with Jesus through the Last Supper (Holy Thursday), his Crucifixion (Good Friday) and Resurrection (Easter Saturday Vigil, Easter Sunday).
Good Friday, April 14 - Ecumenical Way of the Cross which began around 9.30am at St Thomas More Catholic Church ending at St Anne’s Anglican Church in Northland. The walk reminded walkers of the Stations of the Cross, as Jesus was lead to Calvary, the site of His crucifixion.
Deputy Principal of St Teresas School, Katie Fisher, left at the end of term one after nearly ten years of teaching at the school. Katie returned to St Teresas school after being a pupil there as a child. She is going to Thailand to do voluntary work at Marist brothers schools. The school put on a special assembly for her and finally bid her farewell at the Easter Play. All the best Katie!
Parishioners met at St Thomas More on Friday 7 April to follow the stations of the Cross and then make flax crosses for Palm Sunday. They had shared dinner and desert before and after the task. The crosses were carried into the church by parishioners on Palm Sunday. More about this event on our Gallery page.
Parish Council Elections:
Our Parish of Otari has been blessed since its inception with a very committed parish
Council, who has voluntarily given their time and attention to the pastoral needs of the parish. It is now time to consider electing a new Parish Council. I would suggest the following.
- Parish Council members are elected by their fellow parishioners every 4 years.
- To preserve continuality elections are held for five members every 2 years. (This would mean that 5 members from the present Parish Council would stay on for 2 more years).
- Nominations will soon be called to fill 5 vacancies on the Parish Pastoral Council. Please consider carefully who you will nominate to be on the Parish Pastoral Council. You may want to ask that person if they would like to be nominated.
- Saturday 1st April 4pm to 5pm. Time of prayer in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (St Teresa’s),for wisdom in nomination process. • Nomination Sunday 1/2 April at all Masses.
- Nomination Sunday extends to 12 noon the following Friday for those who are away.) You nominate the name of a person who you consider would make a good Parish Pastoral Councillor.
- All those nominated are contacted. They are asked if they would like to accept nomination.
- Those who accept nomination are asked to supply a photo of themselves on the top half of an A 4 piece of paper, with a brief résumé of themselves and why they would be happy to accept nomination. (A photo can be taken and a layout done by the parish if necessarily).
- Photos and résumés will be displayed in both churches and on the parish website for approx. 3 – 4 weeks.
- A time of Prayer before Voting Sunday.
- Voting Sunday will be in May. You can vote for up to 5 names on the voting form. (For those away, votes can be left at the Parish Office until 12 noon the following Friday).
Good Companions for Senior Citizens
Next get-together on May 23 (meet each month), in St Teresa’s Hall. Come along and enjoy the friendly company, entertainment and lunch from 11am 1pm. There is a koha of $5.
Click link here for photos from their 50th birthday celebrations
Important....a stewardship update, this topic has its own webpage here. Click the word button STEWARDSHIP above to read the latest about our parish stewardship. There are notes from the October 29 meeting for you to think about! Cardinal John wants parishes to re-imagine themselves. "Stewardship encourages parishioners to come together through the strength of Church community and to live the Gospel in a meaningful way in daily lives. "
St Teresa’s Church - 299 Karori Rd, Wellington 6012
Saturday Vigil : 5.30pm
Sunday : 10.00am
Monday : None Tuesday : 9.30am, Wednesday: 9.30am Thursday : 9.30am Friday : 9.30am
Saturday : 9.00am 5pm Divine Mercy Devotion Adoration : Thursdays 9.00am to 9.30am
Reconciliation : 9.30am Saturday and other times by appointment
St Thomas More Church - 30 Worcester Street, Wilton
Sunday: 8:30 am
Reconciliation: By appointment. Baptism - by appointment
For additions please check our current newsletter which is online here (pdf)
Other Mass Centre timetables in our area. (click on name)
St Mary of the Angels. NOW OPEN AFTER SEISMIC WORK
Newlands, Johnsonville, and Khandallah churches now combined to form new parish of ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI, OHARIU. Their new website link below.